Thursday, February 22, 2018

The Nectars: "I Want It"


By Robin Ervolina
New Jersey Punkrockers The Nectars just unveiled their latest tune "I Want It" via SoundCloud and it's massively hot, straight out of the gate. Lead vocalist Jessica Kenny purrs,"You're telling me to wait. I don't wanna wait," before exploding "Give it to me now, now now." That's just the intro. What ensues is trashy beats, crunchy guitars, and pure punk feedback bliss. This track is one minute and 48 seconds of sexy, powerful abandon. While the content might be controversial, it's for that precise reason The Nectars penned "I Want It." Says the band:
'I Want Itis 2 mins of scorching, garage rock emotion. As a band we always like to toy with power dynamics and thought a woman demanding sex would be jarring to chauvinist ideals. With that in mind we needed to write a song encapsulating the feeling of being stoned, late at night, post show, covered in sweat, eager to fulfill our own physical desires.

Check out "I Want It" via SoundCloud now!

It's hard not to draw a comparison to No Doubt or the Cardigans in their video for "Heaven."

However, I think it sells short the potential and reach of this relatively young band. I'm instantly transported to the 70s, and I'm recalling some heavy hitting female punkers, if not in tone then certainly in attitude. I can't be the only one seeing hints of Polly Styrene (X-Ray Spex) singing "Oh Bondage! Up Yours!"
Based on these two tunes alone, I'll be following The Nectars closely. Check out their Facebook page for new music and updates. If you'd like to see them live, which I desperately do, they will be playing NJ and NY this weekend!
Friday, February 23rd, 2018
7:00 PM
Charity Battle of the Bands in support of the Ramapo Food Bank.
 
 
Saturday, February 24th, 2018
7:00 PM
NYC’s Glamglare presents

The Nectars is:
Jessica Kenny (vocals)
Jon Paul (bass / vocals)
Mike Montalbano (drums / vocals)
Michael Baron (guitar / vocals)

No comments: